Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Book Review: The Story of the Bible The Fascinating History of Its Writing, Translation & Effect on Civilization; By Larry Stone

This is a book I received free from Thomas Nelson as a member of their book review bloggers partner, Booksneeze. The books gives a glimpse at the history of how we came to have the different versions of the bible that we have today. It gives a background on the authors and the time periods in which each of the different books were written. After giving a background on how the bible was written and who wrote it, it details how each of the different versions and translations came to be written. Complemented with inserts showing what the original documents looked like, this book is a great way to learn about a book that many have read.

When I first glanced at the book, I was truly intrigued at what I saw. I found myself wondering about whether or not I had made a good decision in requesting the book as I’m not much of a history buff. However, from the first page onward I found myself not being able to put down the book. At first I also wondered if I would be making use of the inserts provided, but as I was reading through the book, and came across each of the different versions mentioned I enjoyed being able to take a picture insert and looking at what a page in the document would have looked like, even when it was written in a language that I couldn’t read. Overall, I’d recommend this book to anyone who has ever read or reads a bible as it gives a wonderful look at how the bible came to be published.

No comments:

Post a Comment